About

Monday, November 15, 2010

Why It Works - A Divine Kitchen

When I came across this kitchen, my heart said, "WOWEE!"  Candice Olson of Divine Design is another one of my favorite designers and boy, she did not disappoint with this one!  This kitchen took my breath away and I"ll tell you why.  :)

WHY THIS WORKS:


(image from hgtv.com)

  • That island with the white quartz countertop falling all the way over the side of the island.  Drama!
  • Gorgeous lighting!  Candice always does a great job with lighting, notice all the different types of lighting she's used:  Small can lights, sleek pendant lights over the island that are small enough so they don't take focus away from the kitchen as a whole, and that funky dining light.  So much eye candy!
  • Contrast of light and dark again.  I love the light counters with the dark, zebra wood cabinetry.  She picks up more dark contrast with the woven shades and the floor

INSPIRATION: 
  • Floors.  I typically like hardwood throughout a home, with the exception of the bathrooms of course.  But this room is a great example of how well porcelain tile can work in a kitchen.  I love the dark gray color and how it's laid in a brick pattern. Beautiful!
  • Island design.  Again, I typically like the look of one long, sleek  island.  But I love how she included a raised portion to separate the prep area from the bar area.  Since this room is so open, this design works great to conceal some of the mess of food prep. 
  • Window treatments.  Many people are stuck when it comes to dressing their windows.  The woven shades over the sink is great, as well as the casual grommet drapes on the sliding doors.  Perfection!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...